Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks…by Warren Baldwin

Blogging friend, Warren Baldwin recently sent me his book, Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks and Other Gems from Proverbs. On the first page I could tell the book would bestow pages upon pages of wisdom. I was right. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Roaring Lions as a devotional. It is the perfect book for that with short titled chapters that drive each point home with personal examples and life applications.

My respect for Warren grew immensely as I leafed through the pages. I admire books with the ability to bring relevance to Scripture. Roaring Lions impacted me so positively I’ve been encouraging my husband to read it. The book provides wonderful stories detailing familial roles, trusting God’s will and learning wisdom in relationships and so much more. I found myself underlining on almost every page.

As I was halfway through Roaring Lions…I dealt with a specific situation that required me to seek God’s will time and time again. I’m certain God used the Scripture and reference emphasized in Roaring Lions to help me discern how to take next steps.

To quote from the book, “Wisdom means knowing how to communicate value, love, and dignity to others. Wisdom means caring about others in your life and working to serve their needs.” My need to read a powerful devotional book was met after reading Roaring Lions. It is a wise book from a wise author. I’m grateful I’ve connected with Warren and I’m grateful he sent along his book.

And now for a brief interview with Warren:

Wendy: What is the most influential book you've ever read (other than the Bible)?

Warren: I read a lot of books and many of them have made deep impressions on me so, that is a tough question to answer. But, if I had to pick one I would say “The Road Less Traveled” by M. Scott Peck. He addresses a lot of moral and spiritual issues in very helpful ways. I don’t agree with everything he says in the book, or how he approaches some things, but overall it’s a very helpful. I read it in my early 20s and have read it several times since.

Naturally I read a lot in my fields of interest. But I’ve learned to not limit my reading to what I like, am comfortable with, or even write about. Everything we read and study can have bearing on what and how we eventually write. I didn’t imagine that books I read on history, politics and even criminals would eventually end up as illustrative material in a book on Proverbs, but they did. Reading widely expands our thinking and perspectives.

Wendy: Can you describe the moment you understood you were to write a book and how that process went for you?

Warren: I have wanted to write a book for about 25 years now. I started several, but they never seemed to get off the ground. Plus, I didn’t feel like I had enough substance of my own to draw from. About five years ago I did an in depth study of Proverbs for classes, lectures and a radio program. It was during that study that I could see a book, actually several books, on Proverbs. Right now I am working on a follow-up volume to Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks, and a 13-week study for teenage Bible Classes.

Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks developed from writing material for my daily radio program. I would pick a proverb, study the meaning of it in commentaries and Hebrew dictionaries, and think about how it applied to life today. Reading other books helped to illustrate the meaning for today.

After the book was finished it took about 2 years of editing, rewriting, and finding a publisher. At one time the book sat in my computer for about 6 months before I was motivated to work on it again, and at another time on my office floor for 5 months while I tried to figure out what to do with it. Several times I almost said, “Forget it.” I’m glad I didn’t!

Wendy: What is the best advice you can offer writers and/or those in pursuit of God?


Warren: The pursuit of God means we get to know God: his nature, personality, values, etc. A great insight into the heart of God is given to us in Exodus 34:6,7. When Moses asked to see God, God revealed his heart. Later, we are given the person of Jesus as the ultimate revelation of the Father. As we walk in the steps of Jesus we will focus on the Father. And, since Jesus was so concerned about people, he ministered to them and built a community of followers. As we become more like God/Jesus, we will find ourselves intimately involved in community building and maintenance. I think that is an indication that we are in active pursuit of God. Becoming like God does not make us better ascetics or monks; it makes us better husbands, wives, parents, friends, neighbors, Sunday School teachers and church leaders.

Read, study, think, pray, talk to people. A basic premise of Proverbs is that wisdom is learned/gained in community (family-church-neighborhood). Knowledge can definitely be gained in personal study and reflection, but it is only when we apply what we have learned to the give and take of relationships that it becomes wisdom. Godly wisdom is righteousness and skill at living, and living means we rub shoulders with others, and even bruise elbows in the process. From the good and the bad, the sweet and the sour of relationships with others that we learn and grow.

In a sense, Jesus is the ultimate personality that Proverbs wants to develop.

Thank you Warren, for your book and this interview.

Website for Roaring Lions: http://www.warrentbaldwin.com/

15 comments:

  1. Great interview- thank you both! Learning to lean on God and seek Him never leaves us the same. If we hunger and thirst after righteousness we shall be filled- not maybe. It's a promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wendy, for this very nice review of Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks.

    Note: I do wildlife programs in local elementary schools, such as care for the environment, land balance for farming and wildlife, and basic issues of science. I show them various wildlife artifacts, including the bear skull I am holding in the picture above.

    Thanks again. I am honored by your review of the book and kind comments.

    God bless,
    Warren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this with us Wendy! I love books that bless you and make you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. I've got "Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks" on my to-read list. I was hoping to get an autographed copy from the author when he speaks at a family retreat this summer at the Yellowstone Bible Camp (Pray, MT)...but we can't make it this year. I'll definitely be making other arrangements to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, thank you for introducing me to a writer of the nonfiction kind. Yes, I will cross the chasm for this one!!!

    Great post! Great blog!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful interview! "Read, study, think, pray, talk to people": wise words and yet so simple. That's not only how we learn and grow in wisdom but also how we grow community. And I have learned-thanks to years without- how very important community is.

    Happy Wednesday,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I love the books definition of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great resource! I love Proverbs, and agree that Jesus is the ultimate personality to emulate.

    Thanks for the review and interview, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great book! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes all we need is the wisdom we lack. Thanks Wendy and Warren!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good review and interview. Having read Warren's book, I agree completely with you, Wendy. And it's nice to see two of my cyberfriends also become friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is pretty cool, Wendy! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I need to crack this book open soon. I loved the interview too. It's fun to learn more about Warren and how he came to write his devotional. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good interview and sounds like a good book. Very interesting title, too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview, unique book! I love getting books in the mail, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice interview, Wendy! I'm in the middle of this book right now and my mom is in line to read it after me. I'm looking forward to the next one! Warren, I'm glad you persevered to publication - it has been a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete

Taking Time

college applications                 homecoming                            flag football                basketball             SATs   ...